Feb. 20, 2003
- When the prosperity is greater than values, corruption rears its
- Corruption is rampant in India, but the body-politic is not yet
- It can still be saved, if at least a core in the leadership desires.
- Long before Independence, Rajaji said that we would have a corrupt
government in India when independence arrives.
- There are a few possibilities to get rid of corruption.
- Should a corruption-free leadership, however small, come to power,
it is not really too late to eradiate 75% of corruption.
- As other countries passed through it, India too will overcome it
- England, the USA and several European countries passed through as
much corruption as India has today.
- Education and self-respect gradually removed it in those places.
- No longer are people ashamed of being corrupt. Sometimes they are
- The value of material prosperity, not moral values, leads to corruption.
- Often incorruptible officers are forced into corruption by family
- There are shining stray examples like the Chief Minister of Kerala
who does not own a car and whose wife works as a teacher.
- These stray cases indicate that the hope of redemption is not
- Should an incorruptible person be centred in Spirit,
incorruptibility will spread in his circle. That is a spiritual hope.
- As education spreads, it is expected that self-respect too will
- Today people DO
want quality goods.
- It means better education.
- Better education does lead to self-respect.
- When Rs. 2000/- was offered to strangers in a mall, several people
refused, a phenomenon unheard of earlier. So, there is hope.
- Corruption is self-defeating and therefore will work for its
- Corruption destroys systems like examination. It may produce a
system without examinations. That is better.
- India can become prosperous either by removing corruption or by
- Unless a leadership bent upon uprooting corruption emerges, it
cannot be removed. I have not lost hope for it.
- The basic values of India are noble and therefore corruption cannot
rule here forever. How soon and how she will get rid of it is the only question.
- Action taken against defective products and services generates an
awareness in the public which is directly against corruption, and will
prevail in the long run.